The City of Columbia is establishing an elibility list for the position of firefighter. The Civil Service Board will conduct examinations for the position. Beginning salary starting at $13.23 per hour based on 2764 annual hours worked.
Civil Service Testing: Successful completion of an agility test will be required to qualify to take the written examination. Civil Service examination date and time will be announced to qualified applicants after closing date. Physical examination, background check and drug screening will be required prior to employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.
Requirements: High school diploma or GED, Class D Driver’s License, and must possess Tennessee E.M.T. or National Board E.M.T. certification to qualify. Must possess and maintain Tennessee E.M.T. license as condition of continued employment.
The City of Columbia provides the following benefits:
- Major Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP)
- Paid Holidays (10 days per year)
- 2 Floating Holidays
- Paid Vacation (accrual rates begin at 80 hours per year, progressive to 200 hours per year after 30 years of service.)
- Paid Sick Leave (12 days per year accrued)
- Deferred Compensation Program 401-A
- Term Life Insurance Program
- Long Term Disability
- Long Term Care
- Longevity pay (after 3 years of service)
Note: Fire suppression employees are subject to different accrual rates.